Erosion Control

Bear Island Surveying has a Erosion Control Specialist to help with the permitting process and provide guidance in creating an erosion control plan.

Owners and/or contractors need to obtain a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System/State Disposal System (NPDES/SDS) permit. Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) issues the permit to construction site owners and/or their contractors to prevent storm water pollution during and after construction. The erosion control plan consists of a map and description of the erosion control practices being used to prevent the runoff of sediments.

Construction/development sites disturbing one acre or more of land need permit coverage.  Construction sites disturbing less than one acre within a larger development site may also need a permit.

Erosion control practices help improve and protect the future of all waters in Minnesota.

As part of the application, the owner and/or contractor must create a storm water pollution prevention plan (SWPPP) that explains how they will control storm water runoff. The SWPPP is sent along with the NPDES application to the MPCA for review. Bear Island Surveying can assist in the permit/planning process to make sure a project meets all State and Federal requirements. For most sites, construction may begin 7 days after the application is postmarked. Approval of the application by the MPCA generally takes about 2 weeks.